[Healeys] Splines

Joe and Lenore Armour sebring at hotkey.net.au
Wed Jun 12 23:44:14 MDT 2013

When I was in industry the company Lubrication Engineer gave me a tin of
'anti-freting grease' to apply to the splines.  Their high wear is due
the high load on the vertical faces of the spline.  A dry spline will
often shown flakes of metal from the cyclic load from accelerating and
then braking. This can also be seen on the hub tapered face if there is
movement relative to the wheel tapered face.The tapered faces at back of
the hub and at the knock off end keep the wheel splines concentric to
the hub splines to avoid excessive freting of the driving/ braking
faces of the splines.