[Healeys] Antifreeze

Chris Dimmock austin.healey at gmail.com
Wed Jun 12 16:10:28 MDT 2013

Kees,
Can you explain to me, in Sydney Australia, where the lowest ever recorded
temperature was 2.1 degrees Celcius, (35.8F) back in 1932, and the highest
ever recorded temperature was 45.8 degrees Celcius (114.4F), in January this
year, why I should use antifreeze in my Healey???
I just use tap water and waterwetter. I use waterwetter mostly because of its
anti corrosion properties.
I could use any number of products to add to water to lubricate the water
pump, and prevent corrosion, but as I've been using waterwetter for 15 years,
and the car has never overheated, I can't see a reason to change. BTW, it's
never frozen either...

Is there some reason I'm missing as to the benefits of adding ethlene glycol -
a very inefficient coolant compared to water - designed as an antifreeze - to
my Healey??
Chris

Sent from my iPhone

On 13/06/2013, at 4:19 AM, Oudesluys <coudesluijs at chello.nl> wrote:

> Hear, hear!!
> If proper coolant cannot do the job there is something amiss and remedial
action is required.
> Forget water wetter, it is rubbish, waterless coolant, idem,  and the likes.
Use coolant with organic anti-corrosion dopes, the green stuff.