[Healeys] Pertronix Electronic Ingnition for BJ8 with TR6 Distributor Cap

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Tue Jun 11 05:52:54 MDT 2013

Side note:  I recently bought a second Pertronix as a spare.  My original Ignitor--fitted many years ago--was part#
LU162P12, the newer one is LU162P12A.  I fit both units with spade connectors to allow easi(er) and quick(er)
installation, and when doing so noticed the later unit had a different baseplate configuration.  It appears the
Pertronix 'pickup' sits 'earlier' in the firing sequence; e.g. if the old unit fit at 6 o'clock in the distributor, the
new one fits at 8 o'clock (the distrbutor cam turns counterclockwise).  I expect if I have to fit the spare in the field
my timing will be grossly advanced.  I figured I could change the timing to get a decent idle, then drive carefully to
see if there's any knock and retard from there (or advance until I get knock then retard).  I don't want to carry my
advance meter at all times, but if necessary I'd buy one--most decent parts houses and Sears--should have them, and set
the timing correctly.

Bob

Bob Spidell           San Jose, CA            bspidell at comcast.net