[Healeys] NZ Full Moon Silhouettes

Al Malin amalin at mac.com
Sun Jun 9 12:00:05 MDT 2013

I received the following with a video link. If our NZ members haven't seen
this already I thought they might enjoy this. --- Al Malin, Tricarb

A photographer captured what is one of the most remarkable things I have ever
seen filmed.  It is a 3 minute video clip of the full moon rising over
Wellington NZ. It was shot on a calm summer evening, as people gathered on the
Mt. Victoria Lookout point to watch the moon rise.

The little ripples on the edge of the moon are due to density bubbles in the
atmosphere, and we're looking through a lot of it at this low elevation angle.
You'll notice that the silhouettes of the people are pretty sharp, since there
is a lot less atmosphere from the camera to them than it is from the camera
out to the moon.

This stunning video is one single real-time shot, with no manipulation
whatsoever. The camera was placed on a hillside over 2 kilometers from the
Lookout point, and was shot with the equivalent of a 1300 mm lens.
The amount of planning, trial and error, and luck that went into this are mind
blowing. He has been trying to capture this for over a year with many failed
attempts. But 2 nights ago it seems everything was on his side, and it all
came together in a way even he couldn't have hoped.

I honestly can't say enough good things about this video - from the magnitude
of the visuals, to the intimate stories playing out with the people, to the
sheer humbling nature of seeing the awe-inspiring reality of this giant rock
in the sky that we so often don't stop to appreciate.

One thing I encourage you to do is watch this on the biggest screen you have.

https://vimeo.com/58385453 (sound on)

On Jun 9, 2013, at 7:52 AM, Tom Felts <tomfelts at windstream.net> wrote:

> Where in NZ do you live?  If near Wellington, to get to the beach you have
to climb over some of the most beautiful mountains on the smallest, most
curvey road I've been on in a while, past the Manuka bushes----------georgous
country---and the Healey isn't to bad either!:)