[Healeys] Fuel (was: tuning and timing)

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Thu Jun 6 09:21:09 MDT 2013

Ten days and full throttle as often as possible. Ran for--literally--hours on end at speeds between 70 and 80MPH (the limit is 75 in parts of Colorado and Utah, and in Nevada, well, it's Nevada). Got near 100 a couple times just for shits and grins. I was amazed--the limit was 65 on crappy, windy roads in UT and CO. I toed the line just to keep from shaking my car to pieces. My car was fully loaded with 2 'mature' adult men, luggage and a boot full of spare parts, tools, spare tire, first aid kit, etc. etc.

I have roughly 100K miles since rebuild on this engine. I have a 3.54 rearend so tach stays between 2K and 3K most of the time. With the miles and the taller rearend I really have to flog it to merge in front of the 18-wheelers doing 75+MPH.

No offense, Chris--your knowledge and opinions carry weight in my book--but I don't give a flying fuck what my car would do on a dyno. The main thing I worry about is having a breakdown 100 miles from nowhere in the Nevada desert at 100+deg F (and 35degF at night). Main bugaboo remains fuel pumps, BTW--I now carry 2 spares and, yep, had to change one out.

Anyone want to see photos of my trip? I've got a .zip file on Box.com--it's about a 2G download (and there's a few pictures of me, my copilot and GF in there, too)--send email address if interested.

Bob

ps. Please don't tell my BJ8 it wasn't designed to run on modern fuels.

Bob Spidell - San Jose, CA