[Healeys] Fuel

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Thu Jun 6 08:59:20 MDT 2013

Any data? So far, no one has disputed my 'octane is octane' claim; would be interested to know if the Reid vapor pressure spec has changed over the years? If anything, I would expect the RVP to be lower due to emissions standards.

The only 'factory' tuning data--besides timing--I've seen is to balance the flow by ear using a hose of some sort--very high tech--and lift the carb pistons 1/32" (how the heck do you measure that, BTW?). Oh, and if it pings a little retard using the knob on the distributor.

I always thought that detonation was in part due to the burn rate of the fuel. Heard once--note: anecdotal info only--that lower-octane fuel actually has a higher nominal energy content since it burns quicker (detonates). Also, there's more energy in an ounce of gasoline than an ounce of dynamite--the gas just burns slower.

Folks, I'm really not trying to start a war or insult anybody--I only asked if anyone has any actual data on fuel quality issues and cited my own experience. Anybody else put 5K+ miles a year on a Healey?

BTW, we can get really high octane by loading up our gas with toxic organic lead compounds. I think we all agree the IQ of the younger generations is way too high already.

Bob

Bob Spidell - San Jose, CA