[Healeys] steering box oil seal

Michael Salter michaelsalter at gmail.com
Tue Jul 23 15:10:24 MDT 2013

Hi Rich,
I think what you are thinking is correct.
There is a step in the casing because the OD of the seal is larger than the
OD of the seal.
I would think that if you were to use a Dremel to clean off all the rag
ends you could put the new seal in and get away with it. I would put a
little sealant on the outside of the seal just to be sure that nothing
would seep past it.
We used to use a pair of very narrow CR seals in that position because the
sealing face on the shaft was usually quite pitted right where the original
seal used to fit.
Sorry I don't remember the CR number but I'm sure a scan through the CR
site would find it.

Michael Salter
http://www.netbug.net/blogmichael/?p=445

--