[Healeys] BMC ADO16 Interest - Could BMC have saved Borgward?

Joe and Lenore Armour sebring at hotkey.net.au
Sun Jul 21 19:40:58 MDT 2013

Alan Seigrist wrote:

> I can say many british in the day liked the cars, as one of their
> export market was the UK.  In the day these cars were built extremely
> well, were decently finished, and handled very well, a poor man's
> mercedes if you will.
>
> Many british guys I know in their 60s and 70s seem to have a soft spot
> for this marque...

Back in the early 60s in country NSW Australia a local family had a BMC
dealership.  In the mid 60s the youngest son would often give me a ride
home from school in his Borgward .  I was not aware of any other
industry connection.

ADO 16 was the drawing office code that covered the work on all Morris /
MG 1100s as they were known in Australia.

The second pic is of a Austin 1800 ( Australia ) and the ADO code was
ADO17, the Austin, Morris, Wolsley 1800   known as 'the landcrab'
Joe