[Healeys] Oil cooler

Chris Dimmock austin.healey at gmail.com
Mon Jul 15 01:46:28 MDT 2013

Fred, I really wouldn't worry about an oil cooler in a Healey road car.
If you have your heart set on it, then add an inline thermostat valve.
I had a Ford 1600 powered Lenham bodied Sprite many years ago. It had a 13 row
oil cooler and a temp guage with a sender in the sump.
Oil Temp guage never went over 160 deg F.......
Short answer was I added a thermostat valve to the oil line. I don't think the
valve ever actually opened, even on the track. And at least the oil finally
got to operating temp....
In a Big Healey, the oil temp on the road is fine, unless something else is
wrong. Lots and lots of oil to dissipate heat....
If you have a dry sump, and have reduced the oil volume dramatically, then yes
Fred, consider an oil cooler.
If its pretty stock, or even fast road, even in Sydney Australia, you won't
ever need an oil cooler based on oil temperature.
Put in an oil temp guage in your sump first, and see if I'm wrong.
Cold oil does far more damage than hot oil in road cars - adding an oil cooler
without a thermostat valve, and temp guage in the sump is a recipe for
increased wear. You need to be at operating temperature ASAP with oil.
Best
Chris

Sent from my iPhone