[Healeys] Moss Motors brake master cyl. rebuild kit

BJ8 Healeys sbyers at ec.rr.com
Wed Jan 30 15:38:29 MST 2013

Thanks to all who have responded so far.  Several of you recommended
installing the boot from inside the car after the cylinder is inserted through
the hole.   Ibm not the sharpest blade in the toolbox, but I did think of
that.  However, given the problem I had installing the boot with the cylinder
clamped in a vise b using two hands and a screwdriver to pry the lip of the
boot over the neck of the cylinder while holding it to prevent it from coming
off on the other side b I donbt think I can do it from inside the car.
The mismatch in diameters is too great and the rubber too stiff.  It would be
easier to grind the hole larger, but I donbt want to do that before hearing
from more folks who have actually done this job recently with a Moss kit, or
from Moss what they think of the issue.  Ibm still waiting for their call
back.

The boot I removed from the cylinder was stamped bGirlingb, and it is much
thinner and more flexible than the new Moss boot (bMade in Englandb).   I
rebuilt the brake master in September 1992, and at that time Moss provided the
rebuild kit including the Girling boot.

By the way, there was no corrosion or pitting at all in the cylinder bores of
either the brake or clutch master.  Slick as ice.  Thanks, Silicone Fluid.

Steve Byers
HBJ8L/36666
BJ8 Registry
Havelock, NC USA