[Healeys] auctions

Patrick and Caroline Quinn p_cquinn at tpg.com.au
Mon Jan 28 18:50:55 MST 2013

G'day

Please find below a few paragraphs I wrote for our next AH magazine about
the 3 Austin-Healeys and 1 Nash-Healey that sold at the Gooding's Scottsdale
auction.

The first car was a 1955 100 BN1 fitted with a Le Mans kit. Erroneously
labelled as a 100M, to a well trained eye there were a few things awry with
the car. Nevertheless bidding was spirited and US$82,500 (Aus$79,135) later
it was sold. The next car of interest was a recently restored genuine Old
English White 100M with known history. Again bidding was spirited, but
slowed towards the end with the car realising US$154,000 (Aus$147,715). What
I found amusing during the bidding was that a Gooding employee walked
amongst bidders distributing bags of popcorn.

Next was a BJ8 that was described as "one of the best in the country, if not
the world." Originally Healey Blue with blue trim it was sold new in Germany
and found its way to the US where it was restored. It is finished in
Opalescent Maroon and tan trim, which I think didn't do the car justice,
however that's just a personal opinion. It's price? US$104,500
(Aus$100,230)! So perhaps some think the same as I do.

The last car of interest was a 1953 Nash-Healey Roadster in very bright red,
which was probably nothing like its original colour. It sold for a healthy
US$115,500 (Aus$110,780).

Hoo Roo

Patrick