[Healeys] Problems with SC Parts

Tom Felts tomfelts at windstream.net
Mon Jan 14 16:28:44 MST 2013

That was my point I guess-----I tend to think, naively maybe, that the the
suppliers that most of us use and trust, will do the best they can to get us
quality parts, and won't consciously sell us "cheap" parts.  I don't want to
have to wait till I get the part to tell if it is "cheap".  It is a matter of
trust--and, if trust cannot be gained, people will stop buying from that
vendor and he will go out of business.

I understand that all of us want to get a deal or bargain, just not "cheap"
parts.

So---if us asking for bargain prices causes the supplier to compromise on
quality, we have done a disservice to outselves---shot ourselves in the foot.
And---"asking" doesn't make it so unless no products are sold at the original
asking price.

Anyway---where is this thread going? :):)

tom

---- David Lodge <emmgeeteecee at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

=============
Hello Bob, Tom,

Surely this is the classic "chicken and the egg".  We want the best quality
parts but we don't want to pay very much, and how do you tell what the quality
is until you have the parts in your hand/tried them for fit, etc.  If a
supplier finds that a part isn't selling, he will drop the price or offer free
shipping or other inducement to to get rid of them, but I have to say that if
I come across a REALLY cheap part my immediate reaction is: why?  We all buy
very much on trust - witness the current SC correspondence here - as all the
suppliers, especially in North America, are usually a long distance away, and
I have to say that even though I've just started on the restoration of my BJ8,
the quality of parts available compared to a couple of other cars I happen to
be involved with is very impressive indeed and there is rarely a vast
difference in price.  Something to do with the value of our cars I suppose.
Just my two penn'orth.

Regards, Lodge