[Healeys] EZ electric power steering

Tadeusz Malkiewicz Tadeusz.Malkiewicz at plusnet.pl
Mon Jan 14 05:11:35 MST 2013

Lin,

The answers are inline, some for Volvo, some as I would imagine it for
Healey. I also introduced another question,  I thought you might ask. :-)

Here it goes:

1. Is the installation a job to be accomplished by a hobbyist mechanic or
are there technical aspects/special tools that would require a professional?
Volvo: The column shaft is divided in 2 parts, separated by a rubber
doughnut. Only the upper part is affected.  It does require good few hours
of work, and you have to be relatively skilled. No special tools necessary,
fits fairly well and ads extra 20lb to your car.
Healey: I am pretty sure you have to take out the entire steering column,
cut it to fit the EPS and than fi it back in. I would also imagine you have
to fit it back in 2 sections - first under the hood, then under the dash.
Not a 1 day job, definitely.

2. What disassembly of the steering mechanism is required prior to
installing the new components?
- described above

3. Do you have close up photos of an installation, perhaps the Jag drawings
would be the closest?
- attached

4. What are the electrical requirements? How is the system wired into the
Healey's wiring - fuses, relays?
3 connections:
- connect the EPS with 50amp fuse (and appropriate cable) to the battery or
starter.
- connect the EPS controller to ignition switched output (I would just add
another connection to the fuse box).
- reroute stator tube wring.

5. I suppose that the grille would need to be removed?
Oh YES... and more - everything to take out the steering column...

6. Why is the system a good choice for the Volvo but not for a BN1?
Well, the Volvo is a fairly heavy, coupe car. Parking it requires a bit of
sweating...
Healey is lighter and so is the steering..
Also, this is a pretty permanent change, unless you have a spare steering
column. In a Volvo the upper section of the steering costs $60 on ebay..
The change on the Healey would also be much more visible, I would imagine.

7. Is the stator tube (horn, turn signals wiring) affected?
YES. EZ devised a set of sliding contacts (photo attached). A similar idea
is used on a Jaguar XK150.

8. What are your general thoughts about the quality of the product and what
do you see as its shortcomings?
I have mixed feelings.
 The EZ steering system is regulated  by a knob - in  a normal car it's
progressive, dependent on car speed. It's relatively heavy (weight wise), at
least in the Volvo.
The EPS itself is a quality Japanese product, I would not worry there.
It does it's job though and if you really do not care about originality,
then it's an interesting choice..
I would also imagine it introduces more stress to the ball joints which are
not designed for power steering.

9. What is the solution based on?
The systems I have seen are all based on NSK (Japanese) solution.
The Volvo system is based on one from Opel Corsa D,
The Jaguar one is more interesting and it's lighter - it's based on MGF.
It's better suited for solid columns like Jaguar XK or a Healey.
All these systems comprise of:
- the engine that helps the steering to move (the main assembly)
- ECU unit that requires inputs form the engine speed and engine revs.
- in a custom design we are talking about the two inputs are generated  by
pulse generators, one is also controlled in adition by the knob.

The Jaguar solution by a fellow in UK is more ingenious - he actually build
in progressiveness, taking impulses from his angle drive. I liked it.

Let me know if you need more info - I did study this subject a bit.

Tadek

That is probably a good start. Thanks so much, Tadek!

Lin

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type image/jpeg which had a name of jaguar xk150 c.jpg]

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type image/jpeg which had a name of jaguar xk150 a.jpg]

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type image/jpeg which had a name of jaguar xk150 b.jpg]

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type application/pdf which had a name of Jaguar XK150 EPAS.pdf]

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type image/jpeg which had a name of Volvo.jpg]

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type image/bmp which had a name of sliding spring loaded contacts.bmp]