[Healeys] Problems with SC Parts

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Sat Jan 12 17:12:36 MST 2013

re: " ... after X number of "cheap" requests, they just start selling all cheap parts??"

Not exactly.  The order takers pass the cost complaints on to management.  Or, one part vendor is selling a more
expensive, (presumably) higher-quality part and another is selling a cheaper version--guess who gets the orders?
Eventually, the first vendor decides the customer--us--wants the cheap stuff (this is called capitalism--witness
Walmart, Harbor Freight, etc.).

I talked to a small local vendor one time about this.  He told me he once had a NOS Big Healey bumper for sale; I think
he was asking $300 or so for it.  No one would buy it--instead, they bought his cheaper aftermarket (read: Chinese)
copies and complained about the quality.  I've talked to Moss people who say similar.

This was 10 years or so ago, as our cars have become more valuable I believe the vendors and manufacturers are more
willing to make a higher quality, because we now have valuable collectors' cars instead of jalopies.  For example, Moss
commissioned manufacture of a quality 6-cyl gas tank to address quality issues from their other suppliers (and they
aren't gouging on the price, either--wish they had them for the 4-cyl cars).

Bob

Bob Spidell           San Jose, CA            bspidell at comcast.net