[Healeys] Another con - fused question

BJ8 Healeys sbyers at ec.rr.com
Tue Jan 1 13:18:10 MST 2013

It depends on what you want to protect with the fuse, John.
The white wire that goes to the dash switch is a part of the circuit that
activates the relay coil via the white/purple wire to relay terminal W2.
If you put a fuse in the white wire, you are protecting the wiring from a
short in the relay coil.
If you want to protect the wiring in case of the overdrive solenoid burning
up, you should put the fuse between relay terminal C2 and the white/green
wire that goes to the overdrive.
I made up a wire with an in-line 20A fuse to connect to relay terminal C2 on
one end and to the white/green wires normally connected to C2 at the other
end (I prefer "adapter" wires to cutting into the original wiring).
A few years ago, I actually had a solenoid melt-down before I installed the
fuse.  It didn't damage the wiring, but seeing what it did to the solenoid
rubber cap, I feel better about having the fuse there.

Steve Byers
HBJ8L/36666
BJ8 Registry
Havelock, NC  USA