[Healeys] Radiator cap thermostat combinations

john spaur jmsdarch at sbcglobal.net
Mon Feb 4 15:20:39 MST 2013

I was checking the archives and read a few emails concerning 7 pound
caps versus 10 pound caps. The conclusions seemed to be:

7# cap - to stop overflow fill up and let the radiator find it's own
water level (or use an overflow container)
10# cap - may not overflow but, according to Moss it cannot be used
with an original style thermostat with sleeve and bellows.

I am not yet too concerned about overheating because I have a newly
rebuilt four row radiator with the original top and bottom and I have
not yet driven the car let alone driven it on a hot northern
California summer day.

Concerning the thermostat, I am wondering if there are significant
advantages to using an original style sleeved type with bellows? If
so what are the advantages?

Thank you,
John Spaur
San Jose, CA