[Healeys] Need help with O/D disassembly

Michael Salter michaelsalter at gmail.com
Tue Dec 31 16:40:45 MST 2013

Hi Steve,
I think I understand where you have encountered problems.
As I understand it you have the main casing separated from the rear casing
and the brake ring has been removed or is still in the main casing and
clear of the rear casing.
At that point a couple of raps on the bearing housing from which the 8 long
pins (which guide the main springs) and the 4 long studs (upon which the
bridge pieces mount) protrude should be sufficient to release the cone
clutch member from the annulus.
Once the cone clutch is released it easily lifts out revealing the planet
carrier which just lifts out of the annulus.
It is wise to do all this with the entire assembly clamped vertically in a
vice by the drive shaft flange.
If this unit has been hanging around for a while my guess is that the inner
clutch lining is stuck to the clutch surface of the annulus, The lining
material tends to absorb moisture which makes the clutch surface "rust" and
adhere to the lining.
As they say in Aussie "Bigger hammer mate".

Michael S
BN1 #174

--
All wisdom is plagiarism; only stupidity is original.