[Healeys] Healey 100-6 Inner sills and outer rockers

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Sat Dec 14 18:48:45 MST 2013

Darin,

If you look at a lot of restored Healeys--and photos of restored
Healeys--you'll notice that many have issues with door and lower sill
alignment (once you're aware of this problem it'll be the first thing you look
at on a Healey). All too often, 'dogleg' repairs aren't done right and the
cars have 'spurs' that jut out and down ahead of the rear wheels. Also, at one
time at least, the replacement outer sills had a straight bottom line, whereas
originals have a very slight upward curve (I can't think of any Healey body
line that is perfectly straight save for the door edges and neighboring fender
lines). Have heard Kilmartin is now making proper sills, but can't say for a
fact. The sills we got from Kilmartin may have a slight curve, or it may be an
illusion. Although Kilmartin sheetmetal is the best available, you will have
difficulty getting the new sills to line up exactly right (esp. the recessed
flange over which the fenders wrap). Get the dogleg repair pieces that have
the original wire bead (the cheaper ones just fold over the edge).

If you don't have a MIG welder, get one and get good with it. Rosette (aka
'plug') welds I feel are the best for use where spot welds were originally
used.

You likely have some body sag, probably on the driver's side. Unless you want
replace the chassis best you can do is split the difference on your gaps.

Fit everything up best you can before painting and, remember, everything's a
compromise.

Bob