[Healeys] BMC competition parts SHOCKS

Peter Caldwell peter at nosimport.com
Wed Dec 11 08:00:49 MST 2013

Mitch did send me pictures.  They ARE Armstrong for sure.  I sent him
a pic of a very similar shock for an MGB. The letters APCo appear on
several hundred Armstrong shock covers we have here in house at the
moment.  Armstrong Patents Co. Ltd being the correct name of the
company in Beverly who manufactured lever shock absorbers, and many
other hydraulic components.

We did 2 sets of these for a customer a number of years ago.   Here's
what's interesting to us. I apologize if you've heard this before.

The early Healeys, BN1 through early BJ8, used the small bodied
shocks part number 6076 designated DAS9 and having the mounting bolts
3-5/16" on center.

The later BJ8s used a larger body shock part number 8188 designated
DAS10 having mounting bolts on 4" centers.

The tapered hole in the arm on the early shocks 6076 has the larger
diameter away from the body of the shock, such that the link would be
inserted outboard of the shock. (very unusual configuration compared
to most other Armstrong shocks)

The tapered hole for the larger 8188 is larger on the side of the arm
closest to the shock body as the link would be inserted on the
opposite side from the early shock.

The 100-S shocks that we've done, (Armstrong part number 7598 or
6189-ADJ) both adjustable and non-adjustable, have the larger DAS10
body casting BUT have the tapered hole facing as the early DAS9
shock. THAT is what makes them different, and unlike almost any other
Armstrong shock.

     If I recall, someone posted that the shock mounting holes were
re-drilled and I believe reenforced on the race cars. They would have
to have been re-drilled for the bolt spacing difference.

I suspect that the reason the casting of Mitch's adjustable shocks
don't have Armstrong embossed is because they are a  very early
iteration of what would be later marketed as Armstrong's "Adjustable
22" series of lever shocks. I have the original literature and design
data publication book from Armstrong, and some NOS examples.

Here is a link to an article in Safety Fast from August 1965 that
describes the adjustable shock, and gives specific part numbers for
the Healey range.

http://mgaguru.com/mgtech/literature/pdf/safety_fast_aug65_shocks.pdf

I'd be very happy to discuss this further. I have lots of information.

Peter Caldwell