[Healeys] Cam end play

Skip Saunders tfsbj7 at mindspring.com
Fri Dec 6 20:18:58 MST 2013

Just using the plate works.... however, over time, because there is rotating
friction, there will be a circular groove eventually worn into the plate.
Be sure this groove is not very deep.   I had a plate with a groove that was
too deep (I can't recall exactly, but perhaps 1/8" to 1/4" deep???).   The
problem with that deep a groove is that the cam can move slightly forward in
the block and the tappet and cam follower will touch the inside of the
block.   As the cam follower rotates it comes in contact and then misses,
then comes in contact, then misses..... makes a horrible racket when it is
touching and makes you think the engine is going to die......but because it
is intermittent it is tough to localize.   (that's the long story....the
short story:  Just put an un-worn plate on and don't worry about it.)

Thanks
-skip-