[Healeys] Spark happens

Joe and Lenore Armour sebring at hotkey.net.au
Wed Aug 28 06:48:28 MDT 2013

I Erbs wrote:

>Replaced pertronix distributor with my old Lucas unit.  Spark to plugs now
>happens.
>Ira Erbs
>Portland, OR

Dont you just love those old Lucas bits!!!!  They talk to you and let
you know exactly what is going on.  A bit like trouble shooting the
garden hose and watering system. Make sure the pressure ( volts ) are
there and no restriction to the flow ( good connections and no hot spots)

Turn on the ignition, arc any wire of interest against the chassis and
it sounds off with a  flow of electrons and you see the flash and hear
the crack. No transistor or  electronic bits to fry, no hidden
technology. Flick the points with a favourite screwdriver and see the
result before your eyes. Pull a plug lead off and turn a key and wait
for the big blue flash.  Do beware though as I once had a BN4 start up
when doing plug tests - I had three plugs left in and wired up and the
big fat Lucas spark started the engine with me standing by the door. Did
not idle all that smoothly with 3 spark plugs on the bench

Electronic stuff hides all over the place and will not show itself when
needed. Its tempremental and fries itself when you are down the back
checking fuel pumps and the like.

Donald did 200mph with the stuff, rallys were won and many LeMans 24
Hour and Sebring 12 Hour races were completed.

Just requires a little understanding and occassional care. ( dont we all? )