[Healeys] Porting a BJ7 head

Oudesluys coudesluijs at chello.nl
Sun Aug 25 02:23:27 MDT 2013

If that will be the only thing you do to the engine there is hardly any
gain to be had from porting the head apart from may be some matching of
the inlet manifold, gasket and head. But if the orifices in the head are
bigger than the orifices in the manifold just leave alone.
Anyway if you are porting it is not only the head, but also the inlet
manifold at both the head side and the carburettor side and the exhaust
manifold at both ends plus you should even out the combustion chambers
and have the valve seats reground triple angle fashion. A lot of work
which will only show results when racing when a lot of other mods would
have been carried out. e.g. Webers/Dell'Orto's, HC pistons, larger
valves, big bore exhaust, balanced crankshaft/rods/pistons, hot camshaft
etc.
Kees Oudesluijs