[Healeys] BJ8 Front Wheel Noise

Mike Garvey r3m1g4 at verizon.net
Wed Aug 21 20:30:51 MDT 2013

My front wheels make a clicking noise as I drive; it's reminiscent of my
childhood days when I put a playing card to flap against the spokes of my
bicycle.

My tentative diagnosis is that it is the disk pads that get "pulsed" once
every time the wheel rotates and the fit of the pads is loose enough that
they "click".  The clicking stops when I apply the brakes.  Suspecting that
perhaps the disk was the root cause (since the rolling resistance varies a
bit as I rotate the wheel by hand), I measured the run-out of the (outside)
surface of the disk; it measures 0.005 inches, peak-to-peak.  The BMC manual
says that run-out should not exceed 0.004 inches. It's not easy to measure
the disk thickness, so I've not done that yet.

The disks appear to have been replaced during the restoration (by the former
owner) about 2 years ago.  I recently installed the shims that Moss sells to
alleviate brake squeal (which are very effective I find).

Do all/most Healeys make this noise?  Should I just have the disks turned?

Thanks in advance, Mike

Michael Garvey

1967 BJ8/38046

Swampscott, MA