[Healeys] High speed miss

healeyguy at aol.com healeyguy at aol.com
Tue Aug 20 06:36:43 MDT 2013

John
This reminded me of a 15 year old kid trying to work on his first car many
years ago. That would be me. I copied this from another source since it tells
the story so well:

Problem Areas: Each time the points open, a very small amount of metal is
transferred from one side of the points to the other. This transfer is uneven,
and in effect closes the point gap. The second problem area is the fiber block
that rides on the distributor cam and opens the points. This fiber block not
only seats itself on newly installed points, but wears on points that have
been in use for long periods of time. The combination of wear and metal
transfer will eventually close the points completely, and the engine will no
longer run.

Symptoms: As the gap begins to close beyond some rather broad limits, the
engine will start to misfire under hard acceleration. As the gap closes even
further, the engine will start to miss at normal road speeds. Further closing
of the gap will result in an engine that is hard to start and impossible to
make idle properly. These symptoms are very similar to those of fuel
starvation caused by a faulty fuel pump, plugged fuel line or filter, or dirty
carburetor.

Conclusion: Before taking the fuel pump apart or tearing into the carburetors
- both messy jobs - check the point gap.

Aloha
Perry