[Healeys] Ignition & Charging warning light A-H 100 Instruments

Bert Van Brande bertvanbrande at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 19 21:45:32 MDT 2013

Hi Thomas,

Red seems to be the most common color for these indicator lenses.
In Bill Piggott's "The Austin-Healey 100 in detail" on page 73 there is a blue
lens for the high-beam indicator but that's on a 140 mph (100m) gauge, this is
probably the exception.  Attached is a pic of a piece of red plastic I found
in the house.  I used a leather belt hole punch to punch out little rounds and
found the one that was a perfect snug fit.  The plastic was 0.75 mm thickness
(0.5 to 1mm will probably do) but most importantly it needs to be red
translucent not just red transparent.  Transparent red lenses will not
disperse the light.  You'll just see the filament of the bulb light up if you
look straight on.

I actually completely rebuild and calibrated all my gauges
myself.  I did get a quote from Morris but decided it was too nice winter
evening project and an opportunity to save a bit.  I re-soldered the coils on
the fuel gauge,  put a new capillary on the dual gauge, made new odometer
stickers, calibrated tach and speedo with a digital rpm meter, plated the
houses, painted the inside, bought new glass, O-rings and chrome bezels.  The
hardest part was to carefully clean 50 years of dirt and grime of the faces
without destroying them.   I showed the gauges to Curt and send pictures to
Rich and they praised the result.  Btw, I saw Curt's gauge faces and that was
indeed painful.

I still have this piece of plastic and can send it to
you.  My punch is not sharp enough anymore to make a nice cuts and my daughter
managed to lock the keys of my toolbox inside the toolbox itself,  so I cannot
get to the punches anyway otherwise I'd just punch you a couple.   Note to
self to hide toolbox keys better when I am away. ;-)

Let me know if you're
interested.

Bert