[Healeys] Spark plugs - what a difference!

Tom Felts tomfelts at windstream.net
Wed Aug 14 05:30:10 MDT 2013

Add NGK's and it will run even better:)

tom
---- john spaur <jmsdarch at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

=============
I recall emailing the list about the car coughing (spitting) fuel out
the carbs. I checked the timing, points gap and valve clearances; all
spot on. The spark plugs were Bosch WR7DC which a parts person told
me were correct. However, I wanted Champion so I replaced the Bosch
with Champion N12YC plugs. I could not find the RN12YC plugs which
have a resistor but I have since found them.

The Bosch plug was a colder plug than the Champion. Changing to the
hotter plug dramatically improved the performance. The Bosch plugs
had a light gray color on the tips and were slightly oil fouled. The
Champion plugs have a nice tan color and are even in color from plug 1 - 6.

BTW, Moss sells the Champion N5C plug which is colder than the Bosch
and would have been far worse.

Check the plug specs carefully when changing plugs. Just today a
sales person at O'Reilly Auto Parts told me that he had an Autolite
plug that looked exactly like the Champion plug I wanted. When I
asked him what the heat range was he could not tell me. BTW, heat
range scales differ between manufactures and can be inverted so be
careful there too.

The heat range made a huge difference in performance!

John Spaur
'62 BT7
Suggested annual donation  $12.75
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive