[Healeys] BN2 door latch knobs

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Sun Aug 11 08:35:12 MDT 2013

Mornin' Listers,

I recently bought 2 door latch knobs for our BN2 from Moss. These are the chrome knobs that screw into the lever that retracts the catch to open the door. I inspected the knobs and they appeared to be good quality so assumed they would fit. On trying to install them, they would not fit into the tapped hole in the lever. The old knobs--original AFAIK--appeared to be close, if not exactly, SAE 1/4" fine (24TPI) threads. The new ones were 24TPI, but the threaded part was slightly larger diameter and would not fit either the tapped thread or the one remaining nut we think was original (it was a metal, self-locking type). We decided to chase the new ones to 1/4" fine, which was successful.

Anyone else experienced this 'phenomenon?' We think maybe the threads were initially correct, but a heavy chrome plate--good in other ways--may have increased the dia. of the threads.

Bob