[Healeys] engine tie rod

Alan Seigrist healey.nut at gmail.com
Sun Aug 4 20:04:48 MDT 2013

The engine tie rod is meant basically to keep the engine from flying
forward and hitting your radiator, or rearward hitting your bulkhead.  You
are supposed to adjust it in a way where there is no forward or rearward
stress on the tie rod, but that the rubber bushes have a bit of compression
on each side of each mounting eye.

If you load-stress one side of the eye or the other, you run the risk of
stress cracking your eye mounts over time, so it really should be just a
bit of even compression of the bushing on each side of the eye.  No need to
try to move the engine back with the tie rod or anything like that.

Hope that helps.

Alan