[Healeys] BMC Plate

BJ8 Healeys sbyers at ec.rr.com
Wed Apr 17 16:00:52 MDT 2013

The tags were added only to cars that were imported into California, as far
as I have been able to determine.  California law required that the
manufacturer of a vehicle and the year of manufacture be identified on the
car.  Since there were no codes in the VIN for such items, the tags were
added.  I also have not determined whether the tags were installed at the
factory, or only after they reached California (e.g., by dealers or
distributors).
The tags typically were attached with the inboard screw that also attached
the VIN to the firewall.  I've attached photos showing this for BJ8s.

As a side note, California also had a habit of adding the two-digit "year of
manufacture" to the front of the VIN on titles, which has caused problems
for owners in other states and countries in getting the cars registered when
the paperwork didn't match the VIN exactly.

Steve Byers
HBJ8L/36666
BJ8 Registry
Havelock, NC  USA