[Healeys] Registry

BJ8 Healeys sbyers at ec.rr.com
Mon Apr 15 11:16:31 MDT 2013

I have a different philosophy, Rudy.  One BJ8 is pretty much the same as
another and there isn't any incentive for someone to "create" a special car
by ginning up a "special" VIN.  However, as I've noted on the list in the
past, there are a LOT of BJ8s out there now with the VIN plate from one car,
the body plate from another, the engine from a third, and perhaps an
entirely different number on the shock tower.  That is true even of cars
that have surfaced professionally restored by "name" restorers.  Without the
registries documenting details and monitoring that kind of thing, many
owners would never know that the car they own is not what they think it is.
Actually, it would have been beneficial for them, before buying it, to check
with the registry to see what information is recorded.

I personally don't see what value there is at all in recording the details
of the cars in a registry, unless it is used for the benefit of the people
who own them.  I will release the details of ANY car in the BJ8 registry to
anyone who asks.
As far as the names and contact information for the prior or later owners, I
will release it ONLY to a legitimate owner of the same car.  Most BJ8 owners
are very interested in the ownership history of their cars, and I have never
had a complaint from anyone in 15 years that some other owner of their car
made contact with them.  Generally, they are thrilled to know the car still
exists and where it is.  It is a wasted effort to document the ownership
history if it can't be used.  What people DON'T want is for their personal
data to be published, or used for some commercial purpose).

Steve Byers
HBJ8L/36666
BJ8 Registry
Havelock, NC  USA