[Healeys] The Power of Healey

Jean Caron vintage_roadster_restoration at hotmail.com
Sun Apr 14 17:53:06 MDT 2013

Great story Bob, one never knows the impact one has on another person and you
obviously have had a positive one on your neighbour. Great of you to take the
time to do this for someone who desperately needs something uplifting at a
tough time in his life. Enjoy.

Jean

> Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2013 16:00:18 -0700
> From: bspidell at comcast.net
> To: healeys at autox.team.net; mgrant at mossmotors.com
> Subject: [Healeys] The Power of Healey
>
> I have a neighbor named Mike. Although I'm on good terms with most of my
neighbors, Mike and I have the most in common
> and have occasional long conversations but we're not what you'd call BFFs.
About 12 years or so ago Mike's first wife
> died of cancer. Mike was understandably despondent and, at some point either
me or my girlfriend at the time decided he
> needed to get out and about. I offered to take Mike on a day trip in my BJ8;
we drove down to Pinnacles National
> Monument and spent the day hiking and returned. He seemed to enjoy the trip
and the car but I don't recall him bringing
> it much, if at all, in the ensuing years.
>
> A few days ago, Mike came over while I was working in my garage. After the
usual exchange of pleasantries and chit-chat
> Mike said he had a 'big favor' to ask (I noticed he seemed unusually
emotional and might have been fighting back
> tears). Now, Mike isn't one to ask for favors--typical Midwesterner (he's
originally from Michigan)--and I figured he
> just needed me to water or mow his lawn while he took a trip (he's
semi-retired now and is making the most of it). I
> had noticed that Mike had a fresh bandage on his neck--he'd had surgery and
radiation treatment for thyroid cancer
> previously and had to have another surgery and was facing the radiation
treatment again. We didn't talk about it, but
> the prognosis is likely not great.
>
> Anyway, the 'big favor' Mike asked for? He wants to take another trip in the
Healey. Turns out that day trip in a
> Healey meant a lot to him, and now he wants to take another during an
extremely trying time. I've planned an
> overnighter down the California coast through Big Sur, a night in Morro Bay
then back up through an inland route known
> for wildflower displays this time of year.
>
> Now, any car might do for such an occasion--certainly any British sports
car--but for Mike the Healey is special (and