[Healeys] Words of wisdom---BJ8 gear lever socket replacement

Earl Kagna kags at shaw.ca
Tue Apr 9 18:30:14 MDT 2013

Tom:

Just went out to the garage and had a look at my BJ8 gearbox / overdrive,
which has been 'parked' on my garage floor for awhile - I run a Smitty
Toyota 5-speed now.

You should not have to remove the gearbox top cover.  The gear lever socket
should be quite accessible with the tunnel cover out of the car.  It uses a
pinch bolt to secure it to the shift control rod, and a woodruff key to
locate in the exact spot.  It should pull off the rear of the shift rod
without too much trouble - with the pinch bolt completely removed.

If the white nylon bush seems a bit loose on the gear lever knob, it's
probably not a big deal.  Once it is located in the new socket (presumably
not worn), there really isn't anyplace for it to go - it has to expand in
order to fall off.  You'll probably be really pleased with the way it shifts
after driving with a loose linkage for some time!
Let us know how it goes.

Earl Kagna
Victoria, B.C.
BJ8, BT7 tri-carb