[Healeys] Tip

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Tue Apr 9 16:30:35 MDT 2013

I might be the last one to figure this out, but just in case there's someone denser than me on the List ...

Our Armstrong shocks--owners with newfangled tube shocks can hit delete now--should be periodically checked and topped
up with fluid.  According to shock expert Peter Caldwell, there should be a bit of head room above the oil level in the
shock.  For years, I've been filling to the top of the hole, or at least until I could see the fluid level then
'extracting' some of the fluid with a paper towel.  Today, it dawned on me that I needed some sort of dipstick to
measure the level, so I wouldn't be wasting fluid and, worse yet, making extra work for myself.  For years, I've been,
uh, appropriating some the the wooden coffee stirrers you see at places like Starbucks--hey, if you're paying $6 for a
cup of coffee ...--for mixing epoxy.  They're a little long, so if you snap them into 2 or 3 inch pieces they are the
perfect size for dipsticking the fluid level in the shocks (I suppose toothpicks would work as well, but the fluid may
be less visible).

Bob

Bob Spidell           San Jose, CA            bspidell at comcast.net