[Healeys] Trying to help someone validate his car.

BJ8 Healeys sbyers at ec.rr.com
Fri Sep 28 13:49:29 MDT 2012

There is a 3-digit number, visible looking down (if the paint isn't too
thick), on the top front side of the right front shock tower where it meets
the frame upper crosspiece.  On my BJ8 (HBJ8L/36666, body 3223 BJ8 81544),
this number is 212 or 219 (the third digit is a 2 overstamped by a 9, or
vice versa).  On my BJ7 (HBJ7L/20111, body 3111 BJ7 51855L) the number is
808.  This number bears no identifiable relation to the VIN or chassis
number of a car and probably was significant only to the construction of the
frame.  I'm guessing that Simon's 446 is this number.  Such numbers were not
recorded in the manufacturing data available in BMIHT archives.

BJ8s theoretically have the complete VIN (e.g., H-BJ8L-XXXXX) stamped into
the outboard side of the shock tower facing the inside of the wheel, but I
do not believe other models have a number there.  I say "theoretically"
because many BJ8s I have seen have no visible number there, either.

Steve Byers
BJ8 Registry
Havelock, NC  USA