[Healeys] Cam and crank gear timing update

Jonathan Quandt jfaquandt at comcast.net
Thu Oct 25 18:15:08 MDT 2012

I have set #1 to TDC and revolved cam so that #4 cylinder valves are
on the rock, #1 valves are fully relaxed but my cam gear timing mark
is 180 degrees out as though the camshaft keyway is cut 180 degrees
out. I
decided to pull the timing cover after checking the cam timing
according to Norman Knok's instructions in his tech talk manual and
finding that rocker clearances on valves #7 & #8 were obviously
different after undertaking the test indicating that cam timing was
180 degrees out. When I revolve cam so that timing mark matches crank
gear mark #1 and #2 valve are on the rock, again, indicating that cam
shaft keyway is maybe cut 180 degrees out. Have I miss read this and
it is really my brain that is 180 degrees out. Cheers, JQ