[Healeys] Speedograph air filter wanted, plus SU filter rehab instructions

BJ8 Healeys sbyers at ec.rr.com
Sun Oct 7 14:26:29 MDT 2012

At first glance, the stock Healey filters look like a pretty poor design for
an air filter.  But my BJ8 has managed to rack up 160,000+ miles on the
original engine with the original filters and only one rebuild at around
90,000 miles due to piston damage not caused by the filters.  Apparently,
the filters can do the job just fine with the regular maintenance specified
by the workshop manual.

I remove and clean the filters thoroughly in kerosene (paraffin) once a
year, then wash them with soap solution and dry them with compressed air.
Following that, I soak them in engine oil and drain until they quit dripping
before reinstalling them.  Degreasing the outside surfaces before
reinstalling them helps to keep them looking cleaner.

Happy Healeying!
Steve Byers
HBJ8L/36666
BJ8 Registry