[Healeys] BHP - the real figures (contd)

Derek Job derek.c.job at gmail.com
Thu May 31 13:49:29 MDT 2012

My message got bounced so I've started a new one.

Just to be clear, my 160 bhp is at the flywheel not the wheels.

To summarise my understanding

- The factory 150bhp was at the flywheel with the engine but no ancillaries
at all. So really more like 120-125 with ancillaries.

- My  back calculated 160 bhp is at the flywheel but with all the
ancillaries included.

- That difference seems reasonable given the cam and other modifications
that my car is running. I have straight cut gears which I supposed helped a
little in the back calculation.

- Different dynos give different results. My guy said that cars he tested
regularly showed 20 to 30 bhp less than the owners had obtained on other
dynos. His comes in bang on with the factory when he tests brand new BMWs
and Mercs.

- You can deduct another 20-25% or so from the above numbers to arrive at
the rear wheel bhp numbers.

Andy, I would be very surprised if your stock car is really making that
150bhp at 5000 revs.

Derek