[Healeys] BJ8 Brake booster fail locks brakes on

Patrick and Caroline Quinn p_cquinn at tpg.com.au
Wed May 23 04:30:06 MDT 2012

G'day Christopher

Yes had the same experience with a Mk2 Jaguar that used to be our everyday
car. Yes it locked solid on Pennant Hills Road in the middle of peak hour. I
was later told that that the booster was the same as a BJ8. I didn't know of
course as you would realise I'm from the era when real Austin-Healeys didn't
have brake boosters. ;)

Took it to a few so-called Jaguar experts, but most were just that -
'sperts'. In the end took it to Better Brakes in Parramatta who said that it
was a dooverhicky inside that wasn't letting the fluid return. I took that
as technical talk for valve. Anyway first of all they actually found the
booster in the car which is tucked away upside down and underneath the right
hand side innerguard and then rebuilt it.

Worked like a charm after that.

Now Christopher as you have experienced a spanner wielding moment with your
Austin-Healey it seems to me that you should have taken photos of what you
have done and we can prepare an article for Flat Clat. What say you?

Hoo Roo

Patrick Quinn
Sydney, Australia