[Healeys] #40320 Distributor ?

Larry Varley varley at cosmos.net.au
Mon May 7 14:25:22 MDT 2012

Chris, was that the early type were the vacuum advance unit was
completely external, and used to rotate the entire body of the
distributor to achieve advance? If so they were a real shocker once
everything started to wear. There was one on an old Austin A70 motor I
had to use in my Healey years ago while I was rebuilding the Healey
engine  ( back in the days the Healey was my only transport ). The
distributor used to wobble constantly!
Cheers
Larry

On 8/05/2012 1:20 AM, Chris Dimmock wrote:
> http://www.a90atlantic.com/index.php/technical-info-s
> Click on distributor.
> On A90 Atlantic the DM2 40320 was fitted from May 1951. Clamp had 1 bolt not
> 2.
> Yes, earlier production of A90 Atlantic was different.
> Best
> Chris
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On 07/05/2012, at 5:57 PM, Alan Seigrist<healey.nut at gmail.com>  wrote:
>
>> Hmm weird.  My Saloon was made on or around August '51 and it had the old
> DVX4 dizzy on it....  but who knows.
>> On Mon, May 7, 2012 at 11:45 AM, Chris Dimmock<austin.healey at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> http://www.a90atlantic.com/index.php/technical-info-s
>> Click on distributor.
>> On A90 Atlantic the DM2 40320 was fitted from May 1951. Clamp had 1 bolt not
> 2.
>> Yes, earlier production of A90 Atlantic was different.
>> Best
>> Chris
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>> On 07/05/2012, at 9:26 AM, healey.nut at gmail.com wrote:
>>
>>> Atlantics used a different dizzy altogether.  Not the best unit - the main
> housing was split between the lower shaft housing and the upper contact
> housing.  The interference fit between the two was prone to wear, causing
> housing wobble similar to shaft wobble.  A finicky and unreliable unit on many
> levels....
>>> Sent by BlackBerryB. from PCCW mobile

>>> Best