[Healeys] CD ROM publication HMC1001 V1.3 - Austin Healey 1953 to 1959

Andrew Thorp bce257 at yahoo.co.nz
Fri Mar 30 19:07:33 MDT 2012

It contains a particularly nasty piece of 'security' sofware. You have to go
to the CD directory and right-click > explore it, followed by double click on
"runmefirst.exe" or similarly named thing. This is an executable that will
invade your PC, shutting down the printscreen function, taking control of your
Acrobat reader etc. You can then run the autorun.exe and get the CD contents.
Don't worry about trying to back up or print anything from the CD... you
can't. Scratch the CD and you are up for a new one.

There are other more
respectable ways to get workshop manuals and parts books...

Andy.

--- On

<hypercubic at yahoo.co.uk>
> Subject: [Healeys] CD ROM publication HMC1001 V1.3
- Austin Healey 1953 to 1959
> To: "Healeys" <healeys at autox.team.net>

>  Just coming out of the Scottish
> winter and rebuilding the rear brakes on the
> 100 ready for MOT next week.
In the process I needed some
> parts info, so went
> to fire up the CD ROM
that I bought about three years ago,
> produced by HMC who
> run the motor
museum at Gaydon and also produce the build
> certificates that
> many of us
have made use of. To my displeasure, I discovered
> the CD would not
> open on
my PC. After some effort I have discovered that it
> will not run on any

Windows version beyond XP, and no Adobe Acrobat Reader
> version beyond the
6.0
> that is embedded on the CD. I have contacted HMC, and they
> deny any

responsibility. Greer Associates who produced the software
> suggest I buy the
> (now current) DVD with the same content!! HMC by the way no
> longer have
any
> connection with Greer. Greer then passed me to a software
> outfit
called
> Hexalock, who apparently produced the "protection" software
> that
prevents a
> user from doing anything other than print to hard
>  copy. I only
emailed them today, so maybe it's early to
> expect a response.
> Let's see
what happens. Meanwhile, have any of you guys got
> the same CD ROM
> and has
anyone found a work-around? I would like to run the
> CD on a PC with

Windows 7 and Adobe Acrobat Reader v 9.5.

> I am not very pleased with
either
> HMC or Greer associates. Their software did not last past
> two
Windows versions
> and would not accept ANY later Adobe versions. I don't
think
> this is really
> "fit-for-purpose". Any thoughts?
>
> Mike Brooks