[Healeys] Overdrive i.d.

BJ8 Healeys sbyers at ec.rr.com
Mon Mar 5 13:36:10 MST 2012

Ed, "GB 456007" is the Great Britain Patent Number for the Laycock de
Normanville overdrive.
If you look closely at the tag, you should also see patent numbers given for
the USA, Canada, France, etc.

I don't know what "A709" means.  In the BJ8 registry, I record overdrive
serial numbers when they are known (BMIHT does not have a record of the
overdrive serial numbers, so they have to come from the actual units).  For
BJ8 overdrives, I have the following numbers (for example) that are
equivalent to A709.  I also would like to know what they mean:

1709
3709
3008
61709
3087

I have a BJ7 gearbox in my garage that has 3087, and almost all BJ8
gearboxes recorded have the 1709 or 61709, so 3087 might be a series for
BJ7.

Steve Byers
HBJ8L/36666
BJ8 Registry