[Healeys] Installing a BJ8 tranny

Patrick Yoas pyoas at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 30 11:50:01 MDT 2012

Greg,
Back in the good ol' days when I was younger and dumber I used to do
clutch jobs ALL by myself. I encountered the same problem(s) you have and
here's what I learned the hard way BEFORE the Internet and Forums(phone calls
were very expensive & cut into Healey & beer budgets).

*The "angle of
dangle", aka: trans and engine line-up is important! If your trans bellhousing
is hitting the firewall you are probable too high with the trans.
*
Trans
spline line-up through the clutch disc is very critical!! Can't say enough
about this. I have even used an old input shaft from a Healey trans and still
had problems. The clutch line-up tool that Pete Delaney sells with his 5-speed
kits works great for this(size matters!)! I suspect that the majority of the
problem is with the shaft going into the crankshaft because it always seems to
the last fraction of an inch that gives the most problem.

*Also the correct
bolts to correct holes! (I sent you pics of this).

Yes, I can be there and
help you, RT plane ticket(wife says "one-way is good too), and beer needed.
Retired, so I'm flexible on my schedule.
Good luck!
Patrick

Ok guys and
gals. What's the secret to getting a BJ8 tranny back in.

I've got it all
lined up. The output flange is in the tunnel and I cannot move
it forward
because the bell housing is wider than the firewall.

And yes, I am
questioning whether or not this tranny really came out of this
car and not
some truck (;-^).
Greg