[Healeys] Break in procedure

Larry Varley varley at cosmos.net.au
Fri Jun 29 15:23:30 MDT 2012

I have to agree with Rick here, if the engine is properly reconditioned
with correct clearances, very little breaking in is required. Crank the
engine with plugs out until you have oil pressure, start up, run up to
operating temperature, check mixture and check timing during that time,
switch off, re torque the head and reset valve clearances, and change
the oil and filter after 100 miles. I definitely wouldn't use any
molybdenum disulphide products during assembly as it can inhibit bedding
in of the rings. I agree with Gary in that you should avoid any
sustained running of the engine with no load, as this could promote bore
glazing. Basically get out there and drive it.
My 2 cents worth :)
Cheers
Larry