[Healeys] Break in procedure

editorgary at aol.com editorgary at aol.com
Fri Jun 29 13:58:58 MDT 2012

For break-in of a new engine, three key tips from my race car mechanic --
molybdenum assembly grease on all rubbing surfaces, Torco break-in oil (I'm
convinced from data, tests, and specs, it's the best stuff on the market for
those key few minutes of initial operation, and run it over various loads
during the first 20 minutes, before changing the oil and filter and retorquing
the head. On the first point, the moly in the grease mixes with the phosphate
in the break-in oil to form a metal that fills in the microdepressions in the
rubbing surfaces, while the lubrication from the oil allows the rubbing
surfaces to smoothly grind down the microscopic high points in the metal. On
the second point, all those micrometallic particles have to go somewhere, and
that's into the oil and into the filter, which is why both need to be changed
after the first 20 minutes of run-in. On the third point, if you can arrange
for time on a chassis dyno, that's the best situation (allows for varying
loads while you can easily reach the engine to tweak carburetion, check
timing, and visually make sure everything looks right). Alternatively, after
the car has run for 5-10 minutes after start-up, at least run it up and down
the street (a hill is even better).

Gary