[Healeys] Fuel pump polarity

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Fri Jun 22 09:42:08 MDT 2012

Is the "something which resembles a small condenser across the points" a small plastic cylinder with red and black leads (wires coming out of it) at one end? If so, it's a diode--don't ask me why it's 20 times larger than it needs to be--and if the red lead goes to the screw which secures the base of the flexible points--the Y-shaped piece of spring steel--then the pump is rigged for positive ground. If the black lead goes to the base of the points it's negative ground.

If it's a cylindrical piece with wire leads out of each end it's a capacitor--aka "condenser"--generally used on middle-series pumps (diodes came on later pumps, early pumps had no arcing protection). I'm not positive (pun?), but I think the capacitors as used on some of the pumps are electrolytic, which are definitely polarity sensitive. Are there any markings on it? If it's an electrolytic there may be '+' and '-' markings on the ends; again, the terminal which connects to the base of the points is the (ground or 'common') polarity. If so, the leads can be swapped to reverse polarity.

Have heard it might help to polarize the solenoid--similar to polarizing the generator when changing to negative ground--by momentarily connecting a power source to the correct leads, but I suspect it's not necessary as the first current pulse will do that anyway.

Some googlin' turned up indications the AUF301 was originally positive-ground, but the polarity could have been changed. If you can send me a (closeup) photo I might be able to help a bit more.

Some useful info here: http://www.mgb-stuff.org.uk/fueltext.htm

Bob

Bob Spidell - San Jose, CA