[Healeys] Radiator

Chris Dimmock austin.healey at gmail.com
Thu Jun 21 08:59:55 MDT 2012

I'm in Australia. I don't use coolant anymore. I use water with either water
wetter; and previously have used the Penrite lubricant, and previously the old
fashioned water soluble oil.
Haven't used antifreeze for over 20 years.
The problem is in the block. It's 45 plus years of crap in the cooling
passages
If you need to fit a thermo fan to a multi core new radiator then you are just
putting band aids on a bloke with broken legs.
You are NOT fixing the cause of the problem.
The problem is in the water galleries inside the block/head.
And a thermo fan on the outside of the radiator will cause you problems in
every high speed scenario.
Because it blocks the airflow, and the airflow it provides is slow compared to
what your car will drive at.
I boiled a bugeye at below zero on a steep hill at 2.00am with a thermo fan
and antifreeze. 30 years ago.
In probably one of the coldest places in Australia.
Between the Jindabyne Pub and Thredbo, after Australiia won one of the
Americas Cup races. When we first won the Americas Cup.
Fix the problem.
Boil my Healey? On a racetrack at 40 degrees Celcuis?
Never happened.....
Seriously. My Healey drove from London to Sydney in 1967 and never overheated
Kees. No original owner of a Healey Pre 1970 ever seemed to have an issue with
overheating.
It's an age thing. And a block cleaning issue.
Seriously.

Sent from my iPhone

On 21/06/2012, at 11:58 PM, Oudesluys <coudesluijs at chello.nl> wrote:

> It is not the anti freeze properties you should be to worried about. It is
for the rust and scale inhibitors that you use "anti freeze", or better:
coolant. So use at least 50% of concentrate or 100% ready mixed coolant.