[Healeys] Rear End Question

Rick Swain rjswain at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 1 17:19:16 MDT 2012

I have a friend with a BJ8 who is converting his differential to a Lempert
3.545 gear set. I'm thinking of a conversion myself but I have a late (6 port)
BN4 with different rear end and overdrive ratios. I believe a BJ8 has a 3.9
rear end with a .82 overdrive ratio for an overall ratio in 4th overdrive of
3.207. My BN4 has a 4.1 rear end with a .778 overdrive ratio for an overall
ratio in 4th o/d of 3.19. With the new rear end, the BJ8 will have an overall
4th o/d ratio of 2.9. If I were to put a 3.545 rear end in my car my 4th o/d
ratio would be 2.75. I don't think that would make for good drivability in a
more or less stock (except for a BJ8 cam) 100-Six. However, if I were to use
his 3.9 rear end, my new overall 4th o/d ratio would be 3.03. It's not the
same as the BJ8 with the 3.545 rear end but better than my stock set up. What
do people with far more experience than I have think? Has anyone used a 3.545
rear end in a 100-Six? How does it work?
Thanks
Rick Swainwww.classicmotorart.cafull-colour drawings of your car