[Healeys] High Octane Gas

Chris Dimmock austin.healey at gmail.com
Sat Jul 28 12:06:31 MDT 2012

Fred, I just love these threads!!
So before I answer you question, I just want to put a few questions (this
being international and all) out there...

Firstly, there are MON and RON octane ratings.

So firstly, what country? MON or RON?

Secondly, before I read another comment, can the poster pull out their Owners
Handbook, and state what octane YOUR Healey required when it was brand new,
unmodified, and a standard compression ratio from the factory?!?! Then answer
the question!

And if you still insist that your car runs fine on some unleaded 85 RON
methylated spirit ethanol blended Crap - refer point 2.

What was the fuel octane specified by the factory? Point 2?

My answer to Fred's question? Mate. If you can afford it, Buy it. Use it.
Enjoy.
You are actually using the closest fuel to the one YOUR Healey was designed to
run on. So if you use that fuel, all the specs in the FACTORY manuals are
correct, for a standard engine.

The owners handbook and workshop manual don't specify ignition settings for
ethanol blended, unleaded, cheap low octane crap fuel. It was specified for
the fuel recommended in your owners handbook. What was that??

By all means, you can dilute your leaded avgas with modern high end unleaded
premium. That's better - far better - than just using any modern low octane
unleaded crap they call petrol. But straight leaded 110 - Perfect. Close
second is home brew unleaded mixed with avgas
Always refer to Point 2. Tell me what the book says.....

Rant over. RTFM.
;-)
Best
Chris