[Healeys] Silverstone - OON 440 and other racing Healeys- photo

Patrick and Caroline Quinn p_cquinn at tpg.com.au
Thu Jul 26 00:28:37 MDT 2012

G'day

The Cooper-Jaguar came about when in 1954 Cooper customer Peter Whitehead
wanted to upgrade from his Cooper-Alta to something quicker.

Whitehead asked old man Charles Cooper and son John to build him a car that
was lighter than his C-type Jaguar.

When built it was the largest and most powerful car to have been built by
Cooper Cars. When finished it weighed 1,848 lbs while the new D-type Jaguar
weighed 1,904 lbs. It was also one of the last front engined Cooper cars
built before they went to the rear engined Cooper Bobtails.

The Whitehead car ended up here in Australia, but has long ago moved back to
Europe.

Hoo Roo

Patrick Quinn
Sydney, Australia