[Healeys] Fwd: Re: Looks not that bad price/value

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Fri Jul 20 08:36:52 MDT 2012

 From the description:

"According to the page-3 in the Austin Healey Parts and Accessories manual, the engine number onf my engine indicates
that it came from a 1965 or newer healey (the 29K prefix) and that would explain the centre-shift gearbox. But the
Auto;start carbs are correct for 1960."

If you read some of the questions posed to the seller he indicates some frustration:

" Hi Roseville, I guess my detailed Description was too detailed? people do not read it? My bad.... As explained in the
Description, the engine # starts with the prefix "29K" and that indicates an engine from a 1965 or later Healey. Donald
healey kept the SAME motor-mount/trans-mount points for the engine/trans from 1957 (FIRST big-6 healey) to 1968 (LAST
big-6 healey). So moving up to a later motor/trans is a simple bolt-in and was done quite a bit. "Case-in-point": When I
built/drove a 58 healey in the 72 Cannonball, I took the entire driveline and front brakes from a 65 healey crashed car
and bolted them right into my 58 healey. So at one stroke I got a better engine, better gearbox and better stopping
power. The "centre-shift" gearbox was only found on Healeys made in early 1962 to early 1968 (when production stopped, a
black day). Having owned both Centre-shifters and Side-shifters I would have to say that the side-shifter is awkward
when compared to the later gearbox. Hope this helps. Oliver"

Looks to me like a legit sale from a true enthusiast (never heard of "AutoStart" carbs though ... must be the thermo
chokes?).

Bob

Bob Spidell           San Jose, CA            bspidell at comcast.net